Am I Eligible for a Bergen County Loan Modification?
If you are facing foreclosure in Bergen County, NJ, the best way to get back on track with your payments and avoid a sheriff sale is to submit a complete loan modification application. At the Law Firm of Ira J. Metrick, we offer aggressive loan modification representation. We have the resources to:
- Tell our clients whether they will qualify for a loan modification.
- Give an estimate of what the modified payments would be.
We do not apply for a modification unless we have advised the client of what payment terms they can expect. We have the resources to research the specific Trust, Investor or Servicer and identify the specific Modification programs that may be available to our clients. Now that HAMP is no longer in existence, it is more important than ever to understand that your loan may be reviewed for a Servicer’s proprietary loan modifications and not any published modification.
Which Type of Loan Modification Should I Apply For?
The type of loan modification available to you will depend upon the investor and servicer for your loan. Some of the most common modifications are:
- Principal Reduction Loan Modification – Also called principal forgiveness, this is the most preferable form of loan modification, but also the least common. A principal reduction loan modification permanently removes or ‘forgives’ a certain amount of the total amount owed to the lender and provides a new smaller monthly payment based on the new total. Some lenders who currently review borrowers for Principal Reduction Modifications are:
- Principal Forbearance – These modifications are more common and provide great assistance to homeowners. With a forbearance, a portion of the amount owed is simply ignored for purposes of calculating your monthly payment. You would only have to pay that amount if you sell or refinance the property, or reach the end of the loan term. (For example: with FHA loans, there is a program that permits them to “forbear” up to 30% of the amount due.)
- Interest Rate Reduction Loan Modification – Your lender may agree to lower the interest rate on your loan to help reduce your monthly payments.
- Loan Term Extension – Your lender may lower your monthly payments by extending the total life of your loan. Many lenders will offer a modification with a new 40 year (480 month term).
- Late Fee Forgiveness – Your lender may agree to forgive any additional late fees you have accrued due to missed payments.
- Capitalization of Arrears – This is the most common modification. With Capitalization, all of the missed payments and fees are simply added to the end of the loan, and the lender may extend the term of the loan and reduce on all of the factors. It is possible that the modified payment will actually be higher than the original monthly payment.
Contact a Bergen County Loan Modification Attorney
Ira J. Metrick is an experienced Bergen County Loan Modification Attorney who can help you understand your options. We can determine whether you are eligible for a loan modification, which types of loan modifications to apply for, and what the new payment terms will be. Contact us today to discuss your situation.